December 1, 2020 Notice: Meeting will be via conference call starting at 7 pm. To enter the meeting do the following: Call 425-436-6341 Access Code is 2999665
Click Here to View Agenda
Welcome to Oliver Township
NOTE: All new building projects must receive a site plan permit before construction. Agricultural buildings must have a GAAMP to be considered for Right to Farm Exemptions and be located in the AP District. Residential Site Permits can be obtained from the Zoning Administrator. ALL Commercial/Industrial Projects or those being undertaken in the Township Commercial or Industrial Zones must be brought to the Oliver Twp. Planning Commission for review.
Oliver Township is located in the center of Huron County in what is known as Michigan’s “Thumb”. It became a township in 1877. The township was named to honor John Oliver, one of its earliest settlers. The Village of Elkton is located within the boundaries of the township. The township is 36 square miles in size and according to the 2010 census has a population of 1425.
Over the years the Oliver Township Board held its meetings in many locations including the Hubbard State Bank and the Elkton Opera House. In 1979, a new combination fire and township hall was built at 5006 Hoffman Street in Elkton. This well equipped fire department serves all of Oliver Township and parts of Grant and Chandler townships.
The township contains some of the finest agricultural land in Huron County. Over 90% of the land is tiled, and along with a good system of drains and ditches, helps to produce the major crops of corn, wheat, sugar beets, soybeans, alfalfa and various classes of dry beans. Large beef and dairy farms also are located in the township and surrounding area. The agricultural community needs good roads. Thanks to voter support of a road millage and joint ventures with neighboring townships, most of the roads in Oliver Township are blacktop roads.
Several businesses add to the economic diversity of the township. The Cooperative Elevator Company has its largest grain terminal located in the township. The terminal has a storage capacity of 4,000,000 bushels and can receive up to 30,000 bushels of grain per hour during the busy harvest season. The newest economic activity in the township is wind turbines. The first commercial wind park in the state of Michigan was constructed in Oliver and neighboring Chandler Township. There are currently 52 turbines located in the township. Also located in the township is Weldall Welding, a fabricator of many components for the ag and industrial sector.
For recreation we are home to the Century Oaks Golf Course. The Elkton-Pigeon-Bay Port Laker Schools are also located within the township boundaries. Come to the beautiful Thumb of Michigan and pay us a visit.